It's been quite a while since my last post. I moved out of my Markham studio and into a new space close to home... right next door actually. The space is fabulous with lots of light that lasts all day. I've been working on this larger piece - the biggest I've done so far. It's 24"x30", which may not seem like much for paintings... but for a cut paper collage, it's quite a bit of work. Plus, I'm stepping into epoxy casting resin! I chose casting resin because I want a thicker coat to keep the layered look of the paper.
There aren't that many bubbles...
and I'm not very good with a blow torch. I think I'll use a heat gun instead.
Gas masks smell bad.
Thin papers become fantastically/horribly translucent!!! I think this is the biggest epiphany/tragedy. I placed some rectangles of yellow down and it became a gorgeous translucent layer and you can see all my painted scuffling underneath. Unfortunately, my drawing became translucent too... which is cool kind of... I read that if you seal it with glue, it's fine. I covered the top layer with mod podge, but didn't do the back side... You can see the before and after pictures to see the differences. Oh, and I'll have to figure out how to keep the paper pieces stationary as the double sided tape I used also shows through.
The major difference in this new work is the surface. I've moved on to wooden panels now and delving into painting the surface to prep the first layer. I think it adds a nice rough quality. I love the yellow ochre base especially with the resin... very much like honey...
I'm back at work now, so the art work will be slower. I'm planning on slower, larger pieces. I've got a few shows lined up this year that I'd like to prepare for. I picked up my pieces from the Square Foot show and I sold one of them. =) I think I'll buy some more resin.